Sunday, September 30, 2007

Talk Nerdy to Me



My brain hurts. I feel a bit isolated here in my room due to studying microenterprenurial (sp?!) programs in America as part of an economic social policy aimed at lifting people and families out of poverty. While I find the topic interesting, I am very tired of reading and trying to formulate a focus paper on it. This, by the way, would be only part of a greater poverty eradication program in the US. I see it as both beneficial to bringing those enterprising souls out of their current position and a bit of prevention as well - you know, breaking the cycle. It is not, however, a cure-all by any means. Make me stop. It hurts. Everything is fuzzy...

If I had a magic 8 ball and I asked it if I am going to be sleep deprived this week, it would respond "outlook good". I am in for a heck of a week - 3 assignments due, 2 meetings with professors, I start working at the grad center 6 hours a week, my Japanese tutoree returns from Peru and reading. Lots and lots of reading.

The thing is, I do not think I have ever been happier in my life. Even sitting here, feeling the need for some human contact - a hug would be great - I am happy. I worked almost 29 years to get here. Holy cow, I am almost 29 years old! Before you know it, I will be 30, then 40...

Back to the journal articles. Please write me if you get a chance. I am feeling a bit disconnected! Pull my head out of the journals and blurry lines of policy...if only for a moment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am glad i got to see you tonight. we will crank out some major writing in the morning. hang in there emry!

Anonymous said...

Hey E,
With all of this reading about poverty, etc., next thing I know you'll be a Democrat. Seriously, it sounds like you are becoming the person you always wanted to be. I am very happy and excited for you. Me? Still living the dream baby. The Sid and Jesse show goes on as Jess got his rear chewed for too many emergency cases. We are opening up an office at 51st and Ward Rd., which I will be at on Wednesdays if there are appointments. As to your studies, just remeber what Eleanor Roosevelt (a Democrat - might I add) said: "Where, after all, do universal human rights begin? In small places, close to home—so close and so small that they cannot be seen on any map of the world. Yet they are the world of the individual person: The neighbourhood he lives in; the school or college he attends; the factory, farm or office where he works. Such are the places where every man, woman and child seeks equal justice, equal opportunity, equal dignity without discrimination. Unless these rights have meaning there, they have little meaning anywhere. Without concerted citizen action to uphold them close to home, we shall look in vain for progress in the larger world."

Anonymous said...

Hey Em! Guess who? Yes, it's your nerdy German friend giving you a great big hug via the web before she heads off for four days at the crazy Frankfurt Book Fair walking around and meeting people until her feet bleed and her throat is dry. *Sigh, I love my job!*
Anyway "the editor" might have some interesting reading for you: Check out "A Billion Bootstraps" by Philip Smith and Eric Thurman (McGraw-Hill) and "Our Day to End POverty" by Shannon Daley Harris et al (Berrett-Koehler). If they're not of any help for your paper, they at least make for some interesting reading on the broader subject.
You'll make history, girl! Write up that policy!