Sunday, August 06, 2006

Choices and The Barista

I am feeling a bit introspective today and am listening to the song that was popular in Spring of 1999. It was the one where the guy is talking to a graduating class and it starts off with him saying the only advice that he knows for certain is to wear sunscreen and then goes on with little tips on how to live your life. It is a great song and there is one part I will paraphrase that really applies to where I am now. Basically, don't praise yourself or berate yourself too much because your choices are half chance, just like everyone else's. My wise friend, Calabaza, told me once there is no wrong choice because there is no right choice. In a way, that is liberating, but in a way, that offers me no guidance. If there were a "correct" choice, I could firgure out a way to discern that and then, obviously, take that route. But it could never be so simple. Black or white. The older I get, the more I realize there is no such thing for many of life's qustions. This isn't a new revelation to me, but every once in a while, it hits me harder than others.

The barista at the coffee shop I am at is cute. I keep stealing glances at him and so far, he has not caught me. I look really hot today, thank goodness. Damn, he knows he's cute. Confidence is attractive; cockyness is not. Maybe he missed that memo. Maybe I have judged him too quickly. Hopefully.

No comments: