Saturday, January 19, 2008

My focus, for right now


Here is a picture of me and my adopted son, Mante. He lives in Mississippi and is 2 years old. I am knitting him a baby blanket, in between doing my readings.

I have decided that I want to focus on human trafficking as my area of focus in the women's empowerment arena. Why? Well, firstly, this is an issue that deals directly with economics. If you have access to market power in your home country, there is no real need to pursue service-industry work in another country. Secondly, it is an issue that can be worked from both ends, i.e. I can work on the prevention-side or on the advocacy-side, working to ensure that victims of human-trafficking receive the services they need once discovered. These service range from mental health, visa-status, shelter, etc. I could go domestic or international with this issue...and it deals fundamentally in human rights. So, for this week, this is my focus. Next week, it could all change so be patient with me!

I am currently reading about Program Evaluation and realizing that if I want to do something completely different for a while, this would interest me as well, you know consulting. Once I get some mad real-world skillz, this would definitely not be a bad gig, especially if I have a family one day.

No comments: