Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Fat Cat, Ice Ice Baby and the Macedonian Update


This is my roommate's cat, Manon aka Sumo. I love her. Big is Beautiful. No, I don't know how much she weighs, but I would guess around 23 lbs. She sleeps with me and is generally lovey dovey. She drinks out of the water bowl with the yellow lab and the dog that looks like a black golden retreiver. So cute. We don't tell her that she is obese or not a dog.

This morning, the sidewalks were covered in an inch of ice. An entire inch. Solid. Last night, the rain was freezing as it hit my umbrella so when I finally put the thing down, ice slid off of it. Now, we get snowstorms in Colorado. No big deal. But ice?! One person today told me she is thankful last night was not an ice storm. So if last night with heavy ice rain and solid ice on the sidewalks this morning was not an ice storm, what is? I am not talking about extreme ice storms. Just regular ones. I know we had them in undergrad in Tennessee and this was at least equal to that. The joys of Philly.

Ah, the great Macedonian update. Today, I spent the day filling out my visa application, passport renewal application, printing off grant info, emailing the poor man in Macedonia who helps me with all my questions (we've only just begun), contacting a travel agent who found me, wait for it, $515 one way ticket to Skopja! This, for mid-May, is super cheap, considering the online travel websites were quoting me $1850. So I guess this means I am really going. I seriously cannot believe it. Really. Truly. Tonight: finish urban studies reading on immigration and start going through all the grant stuff!

1 comment:

zoNa said...

she is too sweet for words! i love that cat!