Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Off to Macedonia!


You are looking at the next intern for the United Nations Development Fund for Women in Skopje, Macedonia. Can you believe it? I can't! I am in total shock and am busy looking for funding - hoorah! Any tips? I believe that I am experiencing shock and awe, but not in the way GWB anticipated. I have to figure out visas, packing, lodging, what my project will be, how to get there, make sure I am totally immunized and healthy, health insurance, life insurance ($100,000 payable to my parents so they can bring my body back and pay student loans off, should the need arise), etc...

So overwhelming! So exciting! I don't know the Cyrillic alphabet or a single word of Macedonian. I don't even know how to spell Cyrillic. But you know what I mean. Oh my gentle Jesus.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Wow, congratulations, Em!!!

I used to work with some Macedonian students studying here at IU, training for future faculty positions at South East European University (SEEU). The grant that paid for my GA-ship was made possible through USAID, which also funded the up-start of SEEU. It was the first university in Macedonia to offer courses in Albanian, making it a uniquely trilingual educational institution.

If you want me to e-introduce you to some of those students, I'm sure they'd be happy to chat with you about any questions you may have! They're really great people, and so much fun!

Chelsea said...

Congratulations, Emily!! You're going to do exactly what you want to do! Whoohoo.

zoNa said...

congrats a million times over.

(very cute photo, btw)