Saturday, February 16, 2008

Picture of Skopje and visa update



This is the main square in Skopje, Macedonia, my new residence. I called the Macedonian embassy about getting a visa and they referred me to the Consulate in Detroit...why, I am not sure. Anyhow, I talked to this really nice lady, who, after a serious discussion with her boss, informed me they do not issue visas to Americans. So I then asked her what I should do. Apparently, I go to the interior ministry and ask them to extend my stay after I get there. Um, ok. She assured me that since I am working with the UN, it won't be a problem. So did the lone Macedonian on campus. Now, I am trying not to worry about this, however, I wish this issue could be taken care of prior to departure. Oh well, I'll call them when I get my passport back and see if that is still the policy. At least my rent is cheap. About $400/month, including utilities. Sweet.

No comments: