Monday, November 19, 2007

More thoughts about shallowness, the great ear update and Self-Advocacy


Wow, I am loving this discussion about shallowness, blogs and how we all interpret things. One thing I take from this is that we (the royal we) are too self-critical. So what if I am not constantly writing academic or awe-inspiring pieces...the real issue is: what is the point of my blog? I agree with Brooke - it depends on the day.

So, this is what is up for today. I now have to put antibiotic ear drops in my ear where the ear drum burst. The good news is that there is not longer a hole in my eardrum. The frustrating news is that there is still liquid in my ear. So, the doctor prescribed me these ear drops and flonase nasal spray because my sinuses are bothering me. He asked if I had allergies and I told that I didn't and I believe this is due to the MOLD that is STILL in my room!!!! He seemed alarmed but didn't make a direct comment to my self-diagnosis which makes me think that if this were caused by mold, Student Health would never say that it could be causing the problem because I live in student housing, and therefore, might have a case against the school for an environmentally hazardous living situation. I have now emailed the head of Facilities, the head of my building and cc'd my Dad. I have to self-advocate and it is so difficult! Practicing what you preach is hard work. I find that I have fight the impulse to explain why I am frustrated - um, it is friggin obvious, yet a habit. I also feel - get this - guilty for being a thorn in their side. Why on EARTH do I feel this way? Is it because I have been on the receiving end of angry client calls while working at the law firm? I don't know, but I can tell you, my frustration with being on 3 prescriptions, having been to the doctor twice in 2 weeks not feeling well and just being down right angry overrides any guilt. If there is no forward movement, i.e., the friggin' mold is not out of my room by the time I return from Buffalo, I will look into legal action.

No comments: