Thursday, November 01, 2007

Nervous Excitement

I just sent an email to the program director of UNIFEM, the women's fund at the United Nations, to discuss international social work and internship possibilities. Some of you may remember my excitement at the beginning of the summer when I decided to apply to Penn and my feelings about this are similar. My stomach is tight with anticipation and I can tell my nervousness level is heightened. This is huge people. HUGE. The kind of projects they work on are EXACTLY what interests me - market power to women-in a region of the world which I would love to go - Eastern and Central Europe, including Turkey. My dreams of seeing Hagia Sofia may be realized this summer. But I don't want to get ahead of myself. Just keep your fingers crossed or thumbs pressed or whatever it is you do to wish people luck. I am bubbling over at thought of simply talking to this woman about what she does and how I can do something similar. I would be working for women's empowerment and gender equality. Can't you just see it???? Here is UNIFEM's website: www.unifem.org

1 comment:

zoNa said...

its an exuberating feeling! i feel the exact same way about the house dean position. my fingers are crossed for both of us!!! this is an exciting/nerve racking time in our lives.