Sunday, November 18, 2007

Ok, One additional guilty pleasure and shallow?


Ok, folks, I forgot one guilty pleasure that is key to my existence. I LOVE getting my hair cut, colored and styled about every 8 weeks. You read correctly. 8 weeks. I justify this expense (believe me, it is an expense) by saying that I must present myself well if I will ever get ahead, and gosh darn it, having good hair makes me feel fabulous.

Upon reading one of my friends' blog, I realized how shallow my blog is. All it is about is me and I am not even reflecting on "me" or my experiences! I ask myself why this is and I don't really know. Does this tie into Guilty pleasure #6 (see below)? I am somehow light hearted and super intense (go figure that one out)...maybe it is because I am not much of an intellectual. Sure, I can go on and on about the different schools of thought around what causes poverty in America, but ask me something "deep", and well, I just don't go there. You ask me what is the meaning of life and my simple answer is "this" or "living the dream". Maybe it is because I can't articulate my thoughts...I dunno. I can't really ponder much of anything because, upon simple reflection, I am a "fixer". If you lament over something, my first impulse is to try to help you figure out how to "fix" it. You say you just don't feel like there are enough hours in the day and my first response, after, "tell me about it" is "is there anything you can do to make your transition between tasks more efficient?" Ask Nona, my Mother, my Sister, Manuel...this is what I do. I have been told I am a good listener. I think I am an active listener. Hmmm. Maybe my blog isn't so shallow any more. At least this time...

3 comments:

zoNa said...

em, you are NOT shallow. that much i know. :)

Chelsea said...

What would this world be without people who fix things? You have to first have the ideas and then put them in practice, which automatically makes you far from shallow! Especially when you have the drive and excitement about your work you show on this blog.

Brooke said...

I suspect many of us cringe at some point or another when we reflect on our own blog posts. Everything you wrote about feeling shallow is something I totally relate to, especially since there are many blogs out there that I read on a regular basis that consist of entries that could easily merit academic credit! But I've come to accept that, as for me, some days I want to blog as if I'm writing in a personal diary, travelogue, or scrapbook, and other days I want to share a cool experience or reflect on something I've encountered in a book or class.

In the end, though, I think what's really at issue here are the ways in which keeping a blog makes one feel vulnerable and exposed, but you know, even pedagogy these days emphasizes the need for vulnerability in the classroom. After all, once someone lets their guard down, others will, too, and that's when the fun really begins! :)

That's why you're such a wonderful people-person, Em - you're not afraid to say what everyone else is thinking and feeling, too, and this opens up conversations that otherwise wouldn't be had. There is nothing shallow about that at all! In fact, it's the kind of courage I lack but wish I had!