Saturday, April 12, 2008

Southside Let's Ride: Luda re-visited



I am working on my program evaluation paper (almost done! last paper for the class!) and pondering my recent experience last night with Nona at the Ludacris concert. We had an absolutely fabulous evening. It started with Cosmos and a light dinner at the White Dog, followed by Cosmos at the New Deck Tavern, then off to Luda. After virtually suffering through the opening acts, our man Luda finally came on. We knew most of the songs and really had a great time jumping around. Luda did not sing a single song all the way through nor did he sing Nona and I's favorite song, but it was great fun all the same. Somehow Nona's room this morning smelled like cigarettes and beer, which is strange since we were outside the entire time and consumed no beer! We are not suffering from hangovers - more from life setting in and the hum dum of errands to run and papers to write.

But here is my question. I am struggling with the fact that I consider myself a feminist, yet went to the Ludacris concert. His lyrics are nothing but misogynistic. How can I call myself a feminist, yet support through my presence and cash someone who's message is downright degrading? Is he just rapping and does not mean what he says about women? Do we only tolerate entertainment like this because he is not talking about white women? White women are not the performers in his videos. Does it matter? It does. Words have meaning and power. Too often do we take our communication through speech for granted and I, for one, have been making an effort to respect the power of words, as trivial as they may seem at times. So now, I simply don't know what to think. I do not regret having a wonderful time with my best friend - she is the best date ever! I am glad we went to see Luda with all the undergrads. It is funny that Luda came to Penn in the first place. We always think of tolerating thing we don't like - for example, brussel sprouts. However, we also tolerate ideas or lyrics that are entertaining, but ultimately, spread a message that is the exact opposite of our values. So from this point on, I have a decision to make. What do I want to tolerate and support?

1 comment:

zoNa said...

i completely sympathize and share in this struggle. however, you also need to ask yourself not just what luda's words mean, but how they are taken by his audience. that is a tougher question precisely because there are many people like us who are feminist, or men who respect women, who love luda. It is a hard concept to wrap your mind around, but perhaps his words and their meanings are not engaged in a monogamous relationship. hehe. I am so weird.

to make a long story short. i share in your concern.... but it was sooooo fun!!!!

THANK YOU!